Monday, June 02, 2008

Interruption

Sorry for the break in blogging. I've got three excuses. The first is that we've had some connectivity issues at home, on the wireless side of things. I still had internet access, but I had to go downstairs to use our desktop computer, and I'm lazy. Second is that I've started my summer job of landscaping, and it's been kicking my ass. 55 hours week before last and 52 hours last week, with working a full day both Saturdays (there were a couple rain days that I only worked a few hours, otherwise the 55 hour week would've easily been over 60). When you work 10-12 hour days outside all you want to do when you get home is shower, eat, watch some TV and go to bed. So that's what I've been doing. Third is that thanks to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, I am now the proud owner of a Saginaw SG manufactured M-1 Carbine. It's currently sitting completely disassembled in my garage. The cosmoline has been cleaned out and the Smooth-Kote has been applied. Still have to get the BP2000 Powder and Hi-Slip Grease on the gun and then get it back together. Pictures will be forthcoming when I feel like it. She looks like she'll be a good shooter, as she's got a bright bore and the muzzle/crown don't seem to be too damaged (although I still have to run the 30-06 bullet/muzzle gauge test). On the downside, her furniture has definitely seen some tough love. The stock isn't in too bad of shape (only a few minor dings), and is actually a very nice Springfield Red hue, but the handguard looks like someone took to it with a razor blade. Several long skinny gouges on the top of it. The cartouches in this bunch of Carbines were supposed to be FAT, since most of them were shipped back from Italy. Mine has a completely different cartouche: HD with UEF underneath it, as well as some sort of design that I can't quite make out to the right of the lettering.

All in all, I'm very pleased thus far. We'll see how she shoots.