Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Range Report

Hit the range on Saturday and my Grandpa's front yard on Sunday with the Carbine. She is SO much fun to shoot. Groups were relatively tight, considering that I haven't sighted her in yet, I was only shooting at around 50 feet, and the fact that she is 60 years old. I can't emphasize enough how much fun she is to shoot though. My dad burned through some rounds at the range with me on Saturday and a couple of my uncles and cousins shot a a few rounds at my Grandpa's on Sunday. The consensus of fun to shoot was unanimous. As far as performance goes, I was shooting five different types of ammunition: American Eagle (manufactured by Federal) Full Metal Jacket (FMJ), Remington FMJ, Remington Jacketed Soft Point (JSP), Federal JSP, and Cor-Bon Jacketed Hollow Points (JHP). Both FMJ rounds fed fine, without a single failure to feed (FTF) or failure to eject (FTE). I had two FTFs with the Remington JSPs, as well as one round that absolutely refused to seat in the chamber, causing the gun to be not able to return to battery. I had no trouble with the Federal JSPs. The Cor-Bon JHPs refused to feed. The only way I was able to fire these was by inserting a round in the chamber manually and then firing and hoping the next round would feed. Sometimes it would, but more often than not it wouldn't. While not unsurprising, given that the gun is mil-surp and only designed to shoot FMJ, it is disappointing as the JHPs were good rounds. I have some Aguila and Lake City remanufactured FMJ ammo on the way, which I don't expect to have troubles with, although I've heard that the Aguila is a little underpowered which can screw with the ballistics and accuracy.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a gun more fun to shoot than an M-1 Carbine. And regardless, as the Box O' Truth guys are fond of saying, it's fun to shoot stuff..