Monday, May 05, 2008

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay, I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but seriously, Navy...who wrote this steaming pile of dog crap? (h/t: the CDR)

We are the men and women of the United States Navy — guardians of American sea power and maritime security.

We are Active Duty, Reserve, and Civilian professionals — a diverse, elite and agile force who aspire to the highest standards of service to our Nation, at home and abroad, at sea and ashore.

We are a disciplined and well-prepared team, committed to mission accomplishment on sea, land, air, and space. We are unwavering in our dedication and accountability to our fellow Sailors and Civilians.

We are patriots, forged by the Navy’s core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment. Our proud heritage, tradition and deep resolve serve as our battle anthem.

Integrity is the foundation of our conduct; respect for others is fundamental to our character; bold leadership is crucial to our success.

We will prevail in the face of adversity with strength, determination, and dignity.

We are the United States Navy!

I took that from Yankee Sailor's place, where he said pretty much everything I was going to say. I would ask why a military service has an "ethos statement," but then I took a look at their "Sailor's Creed" and I understood why they wanted a do-over. Like I said, Yankee Sailor said pretty much everything I wanted to say. You know you've got a problem when buzzwords like "diverse, elite, agile, 'respect for others', and dignity" outnumber words like "honor, courage, valor, and warrior."

A picture is worth a thousand words, so in the interests of brevity, here's two movies. The first is what I thought of when I read that last line..."We are the United States Navy! (And we're super, thanks for asking!)"



The second is how something like this should be done, the Airman's Creed. The key test for any "Creed" or "Ethos Statement" is how is sounds being shouted by hundreds of people. Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that the Airman's Creed sounds pretty bad ass.



This Navy abomination, I'm not so sure about...