Friday, September 29, 2006

A meme of 7

SJS, in his infinite wisdom (for a Navy guy) decided to tag me with a meme about two weeks ago. In the meantime, I've been busy getting picked up by the police and such, so I haven't had time. But now I do. Kind of. Anyway, without further ado, here it is:
Seven Songs

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your LiveJournal/blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.
Unfortunately, I haven't had much music listening time lately, but let's look at iTunes and see what's been getting played. According to iTunes, I have 4.07 Gb of music on my computer. Put another way, that's 2.7 days of music, if one was to leave the music running continuously. Not that much, actually. Anyway, let's look...

1. "Monday Night Football Theme" -- Alright, I haven't exactly been listening to this one nonstop, but anytime myself and another cadet see each other, this song always seems to be hummed/sung. I think it's that damn commercial.

2. "Angel" -- A little before my time, but Aerosmith rocks no matter how old you are. An especially poignant song given my current relationship situation, but since this *is* the No Angst Zone, that's all we'll be hearing about that.

3. "Collateral" Soundtrack -- So it's more than one song, but this entire soundtrack kicks serious ass. An eclectic mix of rock, classical (with distortion...think about that one for a sec), and soft pop, with a bit of Miles Davis thrown in. Great bit of music for whiling away the hours studying or driving at 0-dark-30.

4. "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" -- My particular favorite is the cover by the Pogues, but just a great song. "The young people ask me what are they marching for, and I ask myself the same question." Just like any good war movie is at its heart an anti-war movie, all good war songs are anti-war at their core. This one is no different.

5. "Tim Finnigan's Wake" -- Awesome Irish drinking song. 'Nuff said.

6. "CrushALot" -- By a local (Omaha) band called 8th Wave. Although they're often called "Pop-Punk," I think they're best described as "Punk with horns," because that's really what they are. Old school punk guitar riffs and some kick-ass horns straight out of a funk band. CrushALot is my personal favorite because it's got a sweet opening horn riff.

7. "What is Hip?" -- Three words. Tower. Of. Power. Second only to Earth, Wind, and Fire, but Earth, Wind, and Fire didn't perform a song that asked an important question. Oh, and it has a trumpet solo that is pretty damn cool.

So there's my 7. I'm not going to bother tagging anyone, but feel free to take it and run.