Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Smoking Nazis

While I usually try to avoid crossing Godwin's law, in this case the shoe fits. Omaha passed a law banning smoking in all restaurants starting in October; bars and keno parlors are required to comply by 2011. Every time I hear about one of these laws I get depressed, because for me it just represents another small piece falling off whatever is left of what the Founding Fathers intended for this country. Anyway, I bring this up because I found a very, um, "interesting" quote from Mayor Fahey's chief of staff today in the World-Herald article on the ban. (Sorry, no link because registration is required, and I'm not registered.) Here's the quote: "It's really up to the people of Omaha," Landow said, "to voluntarily comply much the same as they would with the seat-belt law."

So. We passed a law, but you only have to "voluntarily" comply. Unless we catch you, in which case we'll fine you $100. But it's unlikely we'll catch you, so we're going to ask you really really nice if you'll pretty please obey our law.

Man, there's sometimes when I wish I ruled the world so I could teach these manipulative "friendly fascists" a lesson. Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Landow...I thought you would like me forcing you to eat "health paste" and listen to Eric Cartman sing "Come Sail Away" for the rest of your life. After all, some quack doctors said it was good for your health, and everyone else seems to enjoy it...