Monday, August 14, 2006

Quick thoughts

Not gonna have much tonight or tomorrow because I have a Halo LAN party to get to tonight and an end of the summer $20 poker tournament to attend tomorrow. If you aren't familiar with a LAN party, it's best described as a "nerd" party. 10 or so of us get together with our computers, a bunch of ethernet cable, and a couple hubs and/or switches, link everything together, and play Halo against each other for the entire night, while consuming large amounts of Red Bull and Mountain Dew.

Just a few thoughts:

First, saw an interesting phrase painted on the back of a plumbing van today. "How can a moral wrong be a civil right? It can't!" Made me think.

Next, the cease fire in Lebanon. I'm not going to say much about this because if I do I'm likely to start swearing a blue streak (that's how pissed I am about this complete failure), but I think it's best summed up by what my Dad said to me the other day. We were at Mass, and during the General Intercessions one of the prayers was for a cease-fire to come soon to war torn Lebanon, Israel, etc. He leaned over to me and said, "I'd rather pray for peace." And that's about the half of it. There are no cease-fires with these people. You will not have peace until they are destroyed. And in case anyone is wondering if I have evidence to back this up, 10 Katyushas were launched from Lebanon today. The IDF did not respond.

Finally, one last absurdity from the French general in command of UNIFIL, or as I like to call it, the U.N. flag waving force. Here's why: "We were very saddened to see villages destroyed, columns of refugees, the region totally devastated. Of course, it breaks your heart," (the general) said. "Despite it all, we kept our flag flying high."

They "kept their flag flying high." They're French, so I guess I should be glad they were at least waving the U.N. blue flag and not a white one. /snark