Thursday, May 05, 2005

All kinds of exciting happenings!

The story I blogged on yesterday about evangelicals at the Air Force Academy, has exploded in the last 24 hours. Unfortunately, due to the constraints of schoolwork and athletics (district soccer match tomorrow...wish me luck!) I will be unable to join in that explosion until the weekend. But believe me, I have plenty to say. This appears to be shaping up to become an "us against them" battle, when I think, anyway, that the truth is somewhere in the middle. But like I said, more on that later.

For now, the latest chapter in Chinese-Japanese relations is unfolding. I wonder if the Chinese have seen the kettle, because they sure are calling it black. I'm not disputing that Unit 731 did awful, horrendous things. Believe me, I've read the magazine articles; these guys were just as bad, if not worse, than Dr. Menegle. I'm not even disputing the fact that this memorial should be on the U.N.'s list among such places as Auschwitz and the Hiroshima Peace Memorial. What I am disputing are comments like this one: "We feel a growing sense of danger because you (Japan) do not understand history, you don't correctly understand history," Wang Peng said.

"We fear the militarism of that time could reappear, that the historic tragedy will be replayed."

That's all well and good, but here's something you forgot. The Japanese government responsible for these atrocities no longer exists. It was taken down during WWII and replaced with a parliamentary republic, with a new, pacifist Constitution and everything. On the other hand, there are no memorials in China to the millions killed during the Great Leap Forward, or to the destruction and murders of the Cultural Revolution, or to Tiananmen Square. And the government that is responsible for those massacres IS still in power, and has never apologized. Just something to consider.

Anyway, I like to leave you with one final absurdity in these potpourri posts. Here is today's. In Norway, a court has ruled that striptease is an "art," and as such, is exempt from a type of tax, along with other artistic performances, like theater and ballet.

Gotta love those Scandinavians, always forward thinking.

Although, I mean, if you were going to pick a country where striptease would be legally considered an art form, you would pick a Scandinavian country, wouldn't you?

That's what I thought.